Archive for the ‘investing in art’ tag
Barack Obama and Joe Biden say they are “champions for arts and culture.” And they make that claim on their published platform in support of the arts. A document that lays out the near future executive branch’s plan for art and culture in the United States.
The basic outline of the plan:
- Reinvest in arts education
- Expand public/private partnerships between schools and arts organizations
- Create an artist corps
- Publicly champion the importance of arts education
- Support funding for the National Endowment for the Arts
- Promote cultural diplomacy
- Attract foreign talent
- Provide health care for artists
- Ensure tax fairness for artists
If just one of those things happened it would have an impact on art and culture in this country. I want to believe that more than one of those things will happen though. And if they do I know it will have an economic impact all across the nation.
Art is business. An artist is entrepreneur whether they admit it or not. Entrepreneurs and small businesses are at the very foundation of our economy. By investing in art and culture the government will be investing in our economy.
We are going to have to hold the next President accountable to this plan. I’ll give him until the end of February 2009 to have it in place.